Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Resolutions Of A Cook

I ran across this picture of Gram in her first kitchen, and it put such a smile on my face. I wonder what she was cooking. She's got a little smirk on her face. I wonder what she was thinking about as she lifted the lid off that pot.

But mostly, I wonder how she learned to cook and when. My guess is that she started cooking well before her first kitchen.

While the majority of stories I hear are about people learning to cook by watching someone else, this is not my story. I've learned through trial and error, and I am still very much in the beginning stages of my self-directed culinary education. Let's not forget that I'm the girl who greased the bottom of the pan, the girl extremely intimidated to cook (or handle) any kind of meat, and the girl who, given her first kitchen in college, went absolutely crazy person at the grocery store collecting all kinds of ingredients I had no plan for. Rookie, I tell you. Total rookie. Sigh. But passionate, right?

I've been thinking over the last few days about where I want to head as cook, so this post is somewhat a list of cooking resolutions.

Tell me, what are your cooking resolutions? What do you hope to accomplish in the kitchen this year?

Resolutions of a Cook
I promise to...

1. Read the recipe from start to finish before starting to cook
2. Pull out all the ingredients called for before starting to cook
3. Cut, chop, and prep all ingredients before starting to cook (Is it just me, or do you see a theme here?)
4. Enjoy the process - stop rushing.
5. Clean up as I go.
6. Evaluate what worked and what didn't work.
7. Laugh at the mistakes (e.g. -  Bread dough falling on to the kitchen floor right before going in to the oven. Yeh...it's happened. Wasn't really that funny at the time.)
8. Enjoy every bite.
9. Appreciate baby steps.
10. Keep learning!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with all of your resolutions!! Awesome idea.

mld said...

This is such a great way to grow as an individual. I agree, all resolutions are thoughtful and determined. Baby steps are always the hardest for me, top-ramen still gives me trouble, sad but true. This is a great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...